Swedish massage is perhaps the most well-known kind of massage available. The terms “Relaxation” and “Swedish” are often used interchangeably, and primarily describe the techniques and strokes used in administering the massage session.
This is the perfect therapy for anyone who is experiencing stress, overworked muscles or just wants to add a bit of luxury to their day. Relaxation of the mind and body is the primary focus of Swedish massage, but the body experiences several other benefits from this type of therapy as well.
Long, superficial strokes are used in Swedish/Relaxation massage to enhance and encourage circulation throughout the body and induce a very relaxed state in the client. There are many basic techniques used throughout the session, including effleurage, petrissage, friction, vibration, tapotement and active or passive stretching to improve joint health.
The benefits of receiving a Relaxation or Swedish Massage are as follows:
• Decreasing tension in muscles and connective tissues
• Alleviates muscle cramps/spasms and lessens muscle fatigue
• Loosens joints and improves range-of-motion
• Calms the nervous system by encourage the parasympathetic system
• Increases circulation throughout the body
• Tones muscles and skin
• Relieves pain from chronic conditions such as Fibromyalgia, Carpal Tunnel, TMJ
• Aids and speeds healing injuries
• Improves Lymphatic Drainage
• Relieves stress, anxiety, depression and improves mental clarity
• Enhances an individual’s sense of well-being